There are so many versions of the Jewish holiday. The Hebrew name of the holiday and its English translation is currently unknown. However, there are 24 known variant ways to spell Hanukkah. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, Jews lighted candles on menorahs and this festival is for eight days. In the English-speaking world, Hanukkah is identified as an important Jewish holiday. However, because it is Hebrew, English spellings are different. That is why there are several Hanukkah spelling variations. Let us discuss in detail why is Hanukkah spelt in different ways and some easy ways to spell it.
1. How Hanukkah Spelling Variations are explained?
It is said that not all spellings are the same. Hebrew transliteration presents a number of difficulties. It might be impossible to select the correct spelling. The Jewish groups in English – speaking countries use different spellings. Hanukkah has almost a common spelling and there can be double k and n in Hanukkah. It is based on the transliteration system. It has extra consonants in English. It is better to avoid highly rare spellings. Hanukkah has spelling variations that differ not only for every person but also from country to country. Must read what is Intricate Text in Grammarly?
For some individuals, Hanukkah is spelled either way like Chanukah. It is because of the Hebrew translation of the word, and it can be spelled in many ways. The term begins with the sound ch. But others say ha. If you google them, there can be different spellings that pop up.
2. What exactly is Hanukkah?
If you love lights, then the Jewish festival might excite you. Hanukkah is celebrated for eight days and it starts at the end of November or December’s first week. They will celebrate the festival in the Holy Temple. Besides the Hanukkah spelling variations, the meaning of the word Hanukkah means to dedicate. It is the time when Jews were able to win control over Jerusalem in their Holy Temple. (See How Many Gods are there in the World)
3. Why is Hanukkah Spelt in Different Ways?
The Hanukkah spelling variations all depend upon the transliteration. It cannot be easily translated. But it can be spelt as both Hanukkah and Chanukah. There are so many ways to have Hanukkah pronounced properly. This is why it’s not rare to see that Hanukkah is spelled in different ways. Some of them are correct, however, some are not. Now it’s up to you to make the choice. Also, check out What are the Types and Examples of Text to Text Connections?
4. How many Hanukkah Different Spellings exist?
There are different spellings for Hannukah such as Chanukah. Both are considered to be correct as Hebrew does not have a Latin alphabet. There is a standard script in many languages, including English. Whenever an English context is used, it sounds different from Hebrew and that is why it must be converted into Latin letters. Chanukah is a traditional English spelling. However, Hanukkah is used in the traditional version of Jews. It is easier for English speakers. Ways to spell and pronounce Hanukkah are:
- Different spellings of Hanukkah: The Hanukkah spelling variations use different alphabets like h, ch, and n since Hanukkah is a Hebrew word.
- Different ways to pronounce: Both the spellings (Hanukkah and Chanukah) are difficult for English speakers. This is because English speakers always mispronounce the word by saying h softly. They also use the traditional English language sound ch. This might be the reason why Hanukkah is commonly used.
- One or More Spelling for Hanukkah: There might be a way where it can be spelled differently. If you are talking to someone who is learning Jewish, Chanukah would be the perfect word to spell and pronounce. Must read about the examples of famous acrostic poems.
5. Top 16 Ways to Spell Hanukkah
Hanukkah or Chanukah are the top most used spellings. There are however, 16 ways to spell Hanukkah as listed below:
- Channukka, and
- Chanuqa. (See What is an Example of Expository Text?)
6. Is Hanukkah or Chanukkah still a Discussion?
There is still confusion, is it Chanukkah, Hanukkah, or Hannukah? This is because it is not easy to find out how many n and k are there. There is no concrete answer to this, it depends on the way you look at it. This is different from Christmas, which has only one spelling in the English Language. Hanukkah is hard and different because there is transliteration. It gives an individual an idea of how a word in a foreign language is pronounced. It completely changes the way it sounds. Also, check out the Use of Fingers Crossed in a Sentence.
7. Which is more popular Hanukah or Chanukah?
- Hanukkah is a popular spelling and is majorly used. Hanukkah is the spelling nowadays that is used. This is because it looks exactly how it sounds in English. These words are now used by over 26.7 million on Google.
- Chanukah is a way of making it traditional and English readers think that ch is pronounced in Chanukah. The word, Chanukah also hits Google as 6.3 million. This is the most popular word used. Way back in 2005, the Chanukah word was most searched as compared to other variations. (See What are Filler Words in Writing?)
So, the question arises, how do you spell Hanukkah? Why is Hanukkah spelt in different ways? What to choose amongst the Hanukkah different spellings or the Hanukkah spelling variations? Well, Hanukkah and Chanukah both satisfy every criterion. Whichever spelling you may use, both of these are acceptable. (Also read Calendar 2022)