An actor who made a good reputation for himself, but Mark Wahlberg life was full of controversies. There were rumors that Mark Wahlberg attempted murder. What is the truth behind this accusation? Why is he still in Hollywood? Read below to find out!
1. Introduction to Mark Wahlberg
Mark Robert Michael Wahlberg, better known as Mark Wahlberg, is an American actor best known for films such as the Transformer series, and a comedy series called Ted. He was also formerly known as Marky Mark (stage name), which he soon dropped. Mark Wahlberg got his biggest stardom during the 2000s with various top-name films such as The Perfect Storm, The Planet of the Apes, and many more. He has been a producer as well as a rapper since. (See 21 Most Famous Rappers in The World Right Now)
2. His Family
Mark Wahlberg was born in Boston, Massachusetts, on June 5, 1971. He is the youngest of 9 siblings. His brothers, Robert and Donnie, were actors, while Donnie was also a singer. His parents weren’t part of Hollywood as Donald, his father was a United States veteran during the Korean War and later, a delivery driver. Alma Elaine, his mother, was a nurse’s aide and a bank clerk. In 1982, his parents filed for a divorce. Then, at the young age of thirteen, he got addicted to cocaine. He didn’t receive his school diploma until the age of 42. Later in life, he married an American model, Rhea Durham, and has four kids.
3. Mark Wahlberg Life Career
Mark Walhberg’s music history precedes his film career which began about three years before his acting debut. His band was called the Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. They gained popularity with their debut album Music for the People, with the hit Good Vibrations. After this, they also released a video game, titled, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Make my Video, which turned out to be a flop. He also tried his hands in the restaurant business along with his brothers. The Wahlburgers, is a well-known regular dining restaurant owned by him. Later, he got into production and business management in Hollywood. He is currently a part of Baller, an HBO-Max spin-off series. (Also read True Basket Case Definition)
4. His Awards & Achievements
Mark Wahlberg has been nominated for two Academy Awards, three Golden Awards, eight Primetime Emmy Awards, and three SAG awards. However, he won none of them. He got an award for Best International Program for Entourage by British Academy Television Awards. He also received MTV Award for Best On-Screen Duo for his film Ted. (See 25 Best Male Actors working today)
5. Mark Wahlberg Controversial Life
Mark Wahlberg life was filled with controversy and tragedy.
- He could’ve been one of the ninety-two passengers of the plane that crashed into the World Trade on September 11, 2001. Many celebrities lost their lives, but Mark Wahlberg was among the few who didn’t board it.
- Additionally, despite being a catholic, he is in support of homosexual marriage.
- Another incident that gained media attention was when one of his movies made jokes on the Pope, making him issue an apology for the misbehavior.
- Later, stories of him attempting a murder started taking rounds. (See Why Controversy can make Things Popular?)
6. Mark Wahlberg Attempted Murder Controversy
There have been many incidents in Mark Wahlberg life such as him chasing three black children, calling racial slurs, and attacking fourth graders on the basis of skin color. He was also a part of another tragedy, for which he has had a stain on his for his entire life. He was accused of attempting the murder of a Vietnam veteran as he damaged the left eye of the victim. Earlier, he had also insulted the Vietnam-American veterans by calling them the f-word. (See 20 Best Black Actors in Film)
7. The Aftermath
- When Mark Wahlberg was accused of murder, he pleaded guilty and was sent to prison for two years. Although he got out within forty-five days, the controversies of Mark Wahlberg life didn’t seem to end there.
- In 1992, he attacked another black man along with his friend. Though Mark’s lawyer made the case in his favor saying that the black man insulted him, and he only did that to defend himself. Both the parties soon came to a settlement. (See 11 Famous Black Serial Killers)
Nowadays Hollywood is becoming more and more strict as it needs to appeal to a wider range of audiences. This means that actors with a stained history are not the first choice of many producers & directors. Hence, this could’ve been one of the reasons that Mark Wahlberg isn’t casted in many action films anymore.