Study: Consciousness after clinical death


    Study: Consciousness after clinical death

  • 1 Awareness continues for several minutes after the brain dies

    Southampton University found evidence that consciousness continues for several minutes after clinical death. This was previously thought impossible.

  • 2 A study 'AWARE - AWAreness during REsuscitation - A prospective study' was published

    A study 'AWARE - AWAreness during REsuscitation - A prospective study' was done at Southampton University and published in the Official Journal of European Resuscitation Council in 2014.

  • 3 A multidisciplinary team did the study

    A multidisciplinary team with Sam Parnia as the lead did the study at Southampton University.

  • 4 More than 2,000 people in 15 hospitals and 3 countries were involved

    The study was done on 2,060 people who suffered a cardiac arrest and were resuscitated. The study was done in 15 hospitals in the United Kingdom, United States and Austria.

  • 5 Largest study of its kind to date employing rigorous methodology

    This was the largest study of its kind to date that employed rigorous methodology. This methodology excluded all cases that could be based on individual impressions that are worthy, but have no actual scientific interest.

  • 6 Jerry Nolan, Editor-in-Chief at Resuscitation Journal, congratulated the team

    Jerry Nolan, Editor-in-Chief at Resuscitation Journal, considered an authority on the subject, said about the research, 'Dr. Parnia and his colleagues are to be congratulated on the completion of a fascinating study that will open the door to more extensive research into what happens when we die.'

  • 7 40% of the people were aware of their surroundings after being clinically dead

    The study revealed that 40% of the people who survived a cardiac arrest were aware during the time they were clinically dead and before their hearts were restarted. The other 60% may lose their memories either due to the effects of brain injury or sedative drugs on memory recall.

  • 8 Brain shuts down after 20-30 seconds after the heart stops beating

    After the heart stops beating, the brain stops functioning some 20-30 seconds later. The study showed how consciousness wasn't annihilated altogether with the brain.

  • 9 Near-death experiences were previously considered illusions

    Near-death experiences were considered hallucinations or illusions, occurring before the heart stops or after the heart had been restarted.

  • 10 Patients reported unusual sense of peacefulness and other unusual events

    1 in 5 felt an unusual sense of peacefulness, 1/3 said time had slowed down or speeded up. Some saw a bright light, a golden flash or the sun shining. Others had feelings of fear, drowning or being in deep water. 13% were separated from their bodies and had heightened senses.

  • 11 Dr. Parnia said death is a reversible process

    Dr. Parnia said 'Contrary to perception, death is not a specific moment, but a potentially reversible process that occurs after any severe illness or accident that causes the heart, lungs and brain to cease functioning.'

  • 12 The study focused on objectively exploring near-death experiences

    Dr. Parnia said, 'In this study we wanted to go beyond the emotionally charged yet poorly defined term of 'near death experiences' to explore objectively what happens when we die.'

  • 13 2% of the patients had full awareness

    2% of the patients had full awareness of events happening after being clinically dead.

  • 14 Study confirms consciousness was present despite being clinically undetectable

    The study supports other recent studies that indicated consciousness may be present despite being clinically undetectable.